You're an entrepreneur looking to own complex social problems. Your grit and intellect will change lives. And you'll do that surrounded by an award-winning team backed by the best investors in tech.
As a Head of Business Development, you're a senior leader at Beam and a highly talented, entrepreneurial all-rounder who thrives on making an impact.
Your goal will be to build a world-class ethical lettings agency, creating partnerships with landlords that provide homeless people with life-changing access to tenancies in the private rental market.
You're an entrepreneur by nature - this is a role for someone who gets energy from building new things and turning bright ideas into reality.
You’re analytical and strategic, but someone who loves nothing more than rolling up your sleeves to make things happen - whatever that takes.
You’re deeply commercial, and have a stellar track record kicking off or growing revenue lines and refining customer propositions.
You're confident and articulate, including with the most senior stakeholders, and a superb presenter and communicator.
You’re a people person who’s built measurable, long-term value in a previous role by building enduring professional relationships.
You’re hungry to pioneer the most effective model in history to help homeless people find a place they can truly call home.
This role is based in London and reports to Cofounder and COO, Seb Barker.
- Building a world-class service, Beam Lettings, that supports people into high quality, stable private rented accommodation
- Closing partnerships with partners ranging from individual landlords to market-leading estate agents
- Building and accrediting a network of landlords that can fill their properties using Beam
- Providing a senior point of contact for government partners working on Beam Lettings
- Taking overall responsibility for Beam Lettings KPIs and being a data-driven problem solver while remaining deeply empathic
- Building and leading Beam’s growing team of world-class employees (known as ‘Operations Executives’)
- Overseeing frontline work undertaken by Beam with the homeless people looking to move into a property
- Iterating and optimising elements of the ‘Member Journey’: a set of scalable, operational processes designed to support disadvantaged people into housing and employment
- >3 years high-quality professional experience in a startup or leading corporate in a partnerships, sales or account management role
- Entrepreneurial, get things done attitude - someone who thrives under pressure and in fast-paced environments
- Experience managing, motivating and getting the best out of teams and people
- High level of articulacy and comfortable presenting and with presentation software (eg PowerPoint and/or Keynote)
- No need to write code, but we’ll expect you to be tech-savvy when it comes to using and adopting the best digital tools
- No need to have come from a social enterprise, but we’ll expect you to be passionate about social mobility
- Knocking on doors until one opens - the resilience and determination to find the way to get the job done, however tough
- Highly adaptable, personable and excited to work with people from diverse backgrounds
Nice to have
- Volunteering or paid work with people who've experienced homelessness or other disadvantaged groups
- Experience within a highly entrepreneurial environment, ideally as a tech startup cofounder
- Experience and a strong network in the rental market sector
- Strong data-related skills, including with Excel, SQL, GA and other analytics platforms
Compensation & Perks
- Highly competitive startup salary of £45-60k - we're open to hearing from a broad range of experiences
- Additional EMI-qualifying share options in Beam
- MacBook Air or PC (brand new / recycled)
- Work phone
- £500 annual "Be Amazing" budget to spend on anything that helps you achieve your potential
- £80 monthly counselling budget
- Cycle Scheme
- Plenty of Beam merch and books aplenty
- Perkbox perks - discounts and freebies at hundreds of top brands
- Hybrid office - significant flexibility plus the team bonding and fun of a physical space (once government rules allow)
- Fortnightly socials in everything from candle and pizza making to treasure hunts
- Annual team retreat (once government rules allow)
- Unlimited holiday, with a minimum of 20 days per year
- 'Beam Team Talks' - monthly talks to the team from pre-eminent figures in tech and other sectors. Speakers include the cofounders of JustGiving, Booking.com, Starling and Shazam.
All our interviews are currently conducted over Zoom. It usually takes us a week to get back to you after each round. Due to a high number of applications, we are unfortunately unable to offer feedback before Round 2. Feedback for subsequent rounds is provided if requested.
At Beam, we work hard to build diverse teams and believe diverse teams are the most impactful. We're especially excited to hear from BAME candidates or those with lived experience of social disadvantage.
We're a rapidly-growing, high-energy team who love our work and making a positive impact. If you believe in our purpose and want to learn fast and make a real difference, get in touch.