The Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD) is a fast-growing, dynamic international partnership which exists to help countries and the international community usher in an era of positive adoption of data and technology. We bring together over 280 different organizations drawn from all sectors, to identify the challenges that block progress on the Sustainable Development Goals, and to establish the partnerships that can overcome these barriers and unlock long-term change. We believe that better information contributes to better policy and better outcomes, and we fuel progress towards the world of data we want and need, on the basis of freedom and rights, equality and collaboration.
We are looking for a dynamic new Development Manager to ensure we are developing the organization’s relationships with institutional donors and growing funding partnerships strategically. The Development Manager will support the GPSDD’s efforts to raise money from a variety of major donors, including Trusts and Foundations, Corporations and governmental funds by building an effective and innovative pipeline of concepts and proposals for funding. The Development Manager will bring strong fundraising expertise to GPSDD at this pivotal point as it prepares to scale up after five successful years.
The Development Manager, working closely with the secretariat team, will be responsible for managing relationships, writing grant proposals, creating fundraising plans, tracking relationships and developing effective and efficient KPI reports. The post-holder will also work closely with the team to help build new relationships with donors and maintain existing ones by attending meetings and creating bespoke impact reports to provide high-level, tailored stewardship in order to inspire supporters to donate financial resources to GPSDD.
This role is US or UK based with preference for New York, Washington, D.C. and London.
- Lead the implementation of GPSDD’s fundraising strategy to accelerate flexible income growth across a diverse range of income streams (primarily major gifts from Trusts and Foundations and Individuals across the UK and US), and manage major donor relationships
- Support the development of complex and strategic data focused programs for funding, and draft and edit funding proposals using the existing prospect pipeline and building out as necessary
- Collate case studies and impact evidence to support proposal writing and stewardship reports
- Invigorate GPSDD’s donor journey – inspiring efficient, mission-aligned practices
- Act as an ambassador for GPSDD’s mission and strategic priorities at events and conferences such as UN General Assembly, World Economic Forum and COP26, working closely with United Nations and UN Foundation counterparts
- Energize members of GPSDD’s leadership and governance to leverage their experience and connections to support GPSDD’s fundraising ambitions
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree or relevant qualification in fundraising or social impact
- Solid understanding of institutional and foundation donor funding trends and priorities
- Experience of cultivating and securing at least five figure gifts from donors
- Understanding of the latest thinking in data equity for development programming
- Demonstrable experience of developing complex proposals and programs, including multi-country and/or consortium proposals/tenders
- Strong relationship manager and developer who can connect with people from diverse backgrounds and at varying levels of seniority
- Ability to work across distributed teams internally, forging links and extracting opportunities
- Experience of fundraising for networks and/or data focused programs desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, able to communicate complex issues clearly and adapt communication styles to address different audiences
- Confident in operating in a strategic role and to represent and engage with senior level staff
- Proven analytical and project management skills, including the ability to move projects forward from inception to implementation to completion with adherence to deadlines
- Sense of humor; highly organized; ability to stay calm under pressure and deliver results in a fast-paced environment
- This role is US and UK based with preference provided for candidates in Washington, DC, New York, and London
- A willingness to travel, domestically and internationally as COVID-19 pandemic conditions allow
- Ability to interact with people from diverse, multi-cultural backgrounds
- This position will require a presentation as part of the interview process
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.